Mt. Taylor, Mountainair, and Sandia Ranger Districts
Order Number 03-0727
Albuquerque, NM – May 17, 2022 – Based on extreme fire danger, the Cibola National Forest and National Grasslands (NF& NGs) will implement Stage 3 Forest Closure on all National Forest System lands, roads, and trails within the boundary of the Mt. Taylor, Mountainair and Sandia Ranger Districts. Maps identifying the Restricted Areas are attached and made part of this Order as Exhibits A, B, and C.
This Order will be in effect at 8:00 AM on Thursday May 19, 2022, and shall remain in effect until December 31, 2022, or until rescinded, whichever occurs first.
Forest supervisors and fire managers weigh aspects such as local, regional and national fire preparedness level, increased fire activity, expected weather conditions, user activities that relate to potential for increased human-caused ignitions, availability of resources and significant social, political, or economic impacts to move in and out of restrictions and closures. Considerations always include discussions to understand impacts and challenges with neighboring units, federal and non-federal.
Some exemptions to this order apply. The following persons are exempt from the provisions in this Order:
- Persons with a written Forest Service authorization specifically exempting them from the effect of this Order.
- Any Federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty as approved by the District Ranger.
- Residents using roads in the Restricted Area to the extent necessary to access their private property.
Any violation of the prohibitions in this Order is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor by a fine of not more than $5000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or by imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both (see 16 U.S.C. § 551, 18 U.S.C. § 3571(b)(6), 18 U.S.C. § 3581(b)(7)).
Official Order 03-0727 is posted on Cibola National Forest and Grasslands Alerts & Notices.
All existing Stage 2 Fire Restrictions remain in effect:
- Mt. Taylor, Magdalena, Mountainair, and Sandia Ranger Districts: (Order 03-0724) Stage 2 Fire Restriction effective on April 29th, 2022
- Kiowa/Rita-Blanca Ranger District: (Order: 03-0723) Stage 2 Fire Restriction effective on April 18, 2022.
- Black Kettle/McClellan Creek Ranger District – Oklahoma: (Order: 03-0722) Stage 2 Fire Restriction effective April 15, 2022
- Lake Marvin & McClellan Creek Texas Areas: (Order: 03-0719) Stage 2 Fire Restriction effective March 21, 2022
Additional information regarding fire restrictions and closures call:
Magdalena Ranger District Office: 575-854-2281
Mountainair Ranger District Office: 505-847-2990
Mt. Taylor Ranger District Office: 505-287-8833
Sandia Ranger District Office: 505-281-3304
Black Kettle NGs Ranger District Office: 580-497-2143
Kiowa and Rita Blanca NGs Ranger District Office: 575-374-9652
Cibola National Forest and National Grasslands Supervisor’s Office: 505-346-3900
USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.